Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Present Tense

Tonight as I was looking for a quote, I came across this poem and thought I'd share it. It's good to be reminded of the things that are important, and of learning to live in the perfect "present."

PRESENT TENSE

It was spring,
But it was summer I wanted,
The warm days, and the great outdoors.
It was summer,
But it was fall I wanted,
The colorful leaves, and the cool, dry air.
It was fall,
But it was winter I wanted,
The beautiful snow, and the joy of the holiday season.
It was winter,
But it was spring I wanted,
The warmth, and the blossoming of nature.

I was a child,
But it was adulthood I wanted,
The freedom, and the respect.
I was twenty,
But it was thirty I wanted,
To be mature, and sophisticated.
I was middle-aged,
But it was twenty I wanted,
The youth, and the free spirit.
I was retired,
But it was middle age I wanted,
The presence of mind, without limitations.

My life was over,
But I never got what I wanted.

It's a gift of spirit to be able to live in the moment and love whatever stage of life we are in.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing that...I have to Stop to Remind myself of this so often. Boring & busy busy (with little results) as it sometimes is, I don't want to wish away my time at home with these littles...already I look back to their baby days & feel like it went way too fast.

Mandi said...

Very true. . . I miss the baby days too and in 5-10 years, I'll miss the toddler days. I must say that the only part of the poem I didn't relate to was the 20 year old wanting to be 30. I'm just afraid of my looming 30 coming up!!!! Can I be that old????

Kelly said...

Living in the moment! I can always use a reminder about that -- thanks!